Nepal’s Internet and Telecommunication Statistics is something to cheer about. Nepal’s mobile phone user base is increasing and the adoption rate is better than almost all the countries in South Asia. Similarly, Broadband users are also increasing and enjoying internet at higher speeds. This in turn has created better business opportunity for ISPs and Internet based services. The use of social media is also at an all time high and being adopted by people of all age groups. The growing use of internet also has its root in high number of people going abroad. Internet gives families , cheapest way to connect to their close ones.
Mobile and Fixed telephony:
A recent stat published by Nepal Telecommunications authority suggests the same. Going by the numbers, The total number of GSM SIM cards currently in use is 3.75 Crores which is more than the estimated population of Nepal itself. The reason certainly being popular usage of phones with dual SIM card capabilities. If we take fixed telephone and CDMA phones into account the number rises to 3.95 Crores.
Broadband is another promising aspect. The strenuous geography of Nepal makes it harder to relay fiber based services but people like stable affordable internet which is why this category has attracted major business interest. 56% of total population currently enjoys broadband connection. The ISPs alone serve more than 22 Lakh connections. Then there is Nepal Telecom’s ADSL service which is adopted by 10 lakh people because of its wide reach. ISPs are also foraying into other major cities and their number of customers are supposed to rise even further.
Mobile internet is getting cheaper each day. More people are joining the 3G and 4G users club. 4G coverage is limited to major cities as of now from the two major telecom service providers NTC and NCELL. NTC’s has almost 60 lakhs 3G users whereas NCELL has 45 Lakh 3G users.
4G is where NCELL has more than double the users than that of NTC because of its wider coverage. NTC has nearly 7 Lakh 4G users whereas NCELL serves 16 Lakh 4G users.
Broadband services have enjoyed an increase of 10% user base in a span of an year.
Nepal has a total of 96 licensed Internet service providers. 5 Rural ISPs. 15 licensed Network service providers and 1 licensed rural telecom service provider.
Here is a list of Major internet Service providers of Nepal
- Mercantile Communication (Pvt). Ltd. DurbarMarg, Kathmandu
- WorldLink Communications (Pvt.) Ltd. Jawalakhel, Lalitpur
- Himalayan Online Services (Pvt) Ltd. Durbarmarg, Kathmandu
- Vianet communications Pvt. Ltd., Jawalakhel, Lalitpur
- Web Surfer Nepal Communication. System Pvt. Ltd.,Tinkune Kathmandu
- Subisu Cablenet Pvt.Ltd. Baluwatar, Kathmandu
- Japan Nepal Information Communication Technology, Kalikasthan*
- Broadlink Network & Communication Pvt.Ltd., Kathmandu*
- Sustainable Network Pvt.Ltd. Pulchowk, Lalitpur*
- Nepal Net Sanchar, Biratnagar *
- Eastern Networks Pvt. Ltd., Naxal, Kathmandu*
- Net Max Technologies P. Ltd, Anamnagar, Kathmandu
- Fiber Online Pvt. Ltd., Jawalakhel, Lalitpur*
- Pokhara Internet Pvt. Ltd., Pokhara, Kaski*
- Cherry World Communications Pvt.Ltd*
- Classic Tech Pvt. Ltd., Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Eastlink Technology Pvt. Ltd., Tripureshwor, Kathmandu
- TechMinds Network Pvt.Ltd., Narayangarh, Chitwan
- Barahi Internet Technologies p. Ltd., Srijana Chowk -8, Pokhara *
- IBSS Nepal Pvt. Ltd., Sinamangal, Kathmandu *
- Arrownet Pvt. Ltd. , Tripureshwor, Kathmandu *
- Shikhar Net Pvt. Ltd. Dhangadhi, Kailali *
- VNS Technology PVT LTD Dhanusha
- Unified Communication Pvt.Ltd*
- I.Zone Pvt.Ltd*
- SKY cable TV PVT LTD*
- Hawk Net Pvt.Ltd*
- First Link*
- BroaBand Solutions Pvt.Ltd
- Galkot Link Pvt. Ltd.
- Gandaki Communication*
- Big Marshyangdi Net Pvt.Ltd
- Simrik Internet Pvt.Ltd
- Acme Technical Institute
- Earthlink Communication Enterprise Pvt.Ltd